GREATer Updates – Spring 2018
- In March, Bethel hosted 100 local employers for the annual career and internship fair. Nearly 200 students attended.
- The seventh annual McDonald’s® Michiana High School All-Star Basketball Games were held March 27 at Bethel.
- Traditional undergraduate admission has seen a 60 percent increase in campus visitors over three years. The last two events, Pilot Preview Day and Admitted Student Day, brought in 57 students and 83 students respectively.
- In January, local churches partnered with Bethel College to offer the fourth annual “ReFuel,” a one-day conference for church worship teams and leaders; 900 people attended.
- May 20-June 1, 45 friends of Bethel will travel to Israel for a Holy Land tour, including a stop for a baptism in the Jordan River.
- In February, an Evangelicals for Dreamers gathering was held, where Christians from across Michiana met to show support and learn about the needs of immigrant communities.
- Bethel will host a regional National Day of Prayer event May 3, drawing hundreds in intercession for our nation.
- One hundred percent of academic departments report beginning class with prayer, a devotional or a scripture.
- Twelve worship arts students and one professor traveled to Nashville, Tenn., March 14-18 for a hands-on songwriting and recording session with alumnus and Grammy-nominated artist, producer, and songwriter Billy Smiley. They recorded eight songs for HCM Records’ third album, “Heartcry.”
- Bethel’s Voices of Triumph acapella group will travel to Greece this summer for performances and cultural tours. Most of their time will be spent on the island of Syros, participating in the Festival of the Aegean.
- Four youth ministry students are just returning from a semester in South Africa, where they studied the international youth ministry movement.
- The spring musical, “Fiddler on the Roof,” was highly praised and had outstanding attendance; 3,194 came to see the show!
- Notre Dame Head Football Coach Brian Kelly and his wife Paqui have funded the renovation of our largest lecture hall on campus through the Kelly Cares Foundation. The Octorium will be named for the Kellys in June.
- We are finalizing floor plans and funding for a new admissions and aumni center.
- A 9-hole Frisbee golf course will be installed this summer for students to enjoy in the fall.
- The men’s track and field team secured their third NCCAA Indoor National Championship (2018) and garnered five individual national champions and 12 All-Americans.
- One professor completed his doctorate degree (Bryan Waltz, Education) and another was accepted in to a doctoral program (Rachel Lindvall, Kinesiology).
- Junior Rebecca Rickaby received a Stagecraft Institute of Las Vegas (SILV) Award for her work displayed at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF) — Region 3, in Indianapolis in January. Rickaby is Bethel’s fourth student in five years to achieve this prestigious honor.
- The Education Department’s master’s programs ranked No. 19 on SR Education Group’s list of 2018 Best Online Colleges Offering Master’s in Teaching Programs. Bethel was the only Indiana college to make the top 25 list, which compared institutions of all sizes from across the country.